18 November 2008

French Architecture



The Baroque Palace of Versailles in France began as a simple stone and brick home designed by Philibert Le Roy in 1624. In 1669, architect Louis Le Vau began a detailed renovation and expansion.

How Gothic Architecture Began
Gothic architecture began mainly in France where builders began to adapt the earlier Romanesque style. Builders were also influenced by the pointed arches and elaborate stonework of Moorish architecture in Spain. One of the earliest Gothic buildings was the ambulatory of the abbey of St. Denis in France, built between 1140 and 1144.
Originally, Gothic architecture was known as the French Style. During the Renaissance, after the French Style had fallen out of fashion, artisans mocked it. They coined the word Gothic to suggest that French Style buildings were the crude work of German (Goth) barbarians. Although the label wasn't accurate, the name Gothic remained.




6 comments:

said...

Oh Glenda, your photos are great! And I have always wondered where the word gothic came from in relation to the style of architecture. Now I know!

The Little Miss said...

omy gosh...beautiful

Laurie - Decorating Fanatic said...

Hi Glenda! yes this is beautiful and I would so love to go shopping in a Paris Flea market! Maybe someday! I read your comment about my fireplace screen - I know, I know, I had reservations and guilt about the old needlepoint. It just kind of looked odd in the red room and it really isn't in the best shape. I will save it and maybe use it someday. And Layaway is the only way I can buy an "antique" item. I have never had any shop owner turn me down when I asked. Especially if you give them puppy dog eyes! Usually the term is within 3 months but that was manageable for the items I picked & their prices. I have never bought anything over a couple of hundred dollars so the terms might be different then. Good luck! I hope you find one! :) ~ Laurie

Happy To Be/ Gl♥ria said...

You have a beautiful blog girl..just love it..hugs and smiles Gloria

Anonymous said...

Morning, Glenda! Thank you so much for the birthday wishes and I pray you have a blessed Thanksgiving!
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

cotedetexas said...

great blog and love the music - so French! haha! Maurice Chevalier - right?

thanks for your great comment tonight.
Joni

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs